Monday, May 9, 2011

Introduction

My current theory is lacking.

A couple years ago I switched my major to sociology and fell in love with it. The main draw, I found, is the strength of its theoretical half relative to its experimental half; unlike the physical sciences, there is a considerable amount of thought-experiments, philosophy, and personal interpretation to be drawn upon in analyzing and explaining the observable data.

I've had a number of experiences in the year since my graduation that have reshaped my worldview. Certain assumptions I'd held, or ideas I'd agreed with, are now obsolete and replaced with new ones. Also, I've recently rearranged my room and found a number of books I've accrued over the past four years that I still haven't read completely (or at all), but which I know to be rich in ideas.

I have registered to take the GRE this summer, and soon thereafter will begin applying to graduate schools. This little project of mine should help me review the material and keep my mind active until graduate school, rekindle my interest in the discipline and organize my thoughts, and help me clear off my bookshelf.

Over the next few months, I will try to more ambitiously read/re-read all the texts on my shelf and offer my own reviews and commentaries on them here.

Here I go...

No comments:

Post a Comment